Science of Reading Professional Development
The UF Lastinger Center for Learning’s Science of Reading Professional Development is designed to help teachers translate reading research and theory into instructional practice. It equips participants with the literacy knowledge and pedagogy required to effectively diagnose and address the individual learning needs of students who are striving to become successful readers.
Science of Reading Professional Development:
- Increases quality and quantity of language interaction
- Supports learners with evidence-based instructional strategies
- Identifies students who may need additional assessment
- Uses data to make instructional decisions
Main areas of reading development: Oral Language Development, Phonological Awareness, Early Decoding, Advanced Decoding, Fluency, Vocabulary, Comprehension
This program is designed for K-5 educators including:
- Classroom Teachers
- Instructional Coaches
Delivery and Duration
Science of Reading professional development can be completed over the course of 10 months:
- 2-day Initial Institute (12 hours total): face-to-face
- 4 Implementation Support Visits – (24-hours total): face-to-face
- Final Evaluation Report
- Ongoing Communication with Organization
The Lastinger Center for Learning will provide on-site, job-embedded training and ongoing support with our Literacy Implementation Associates.
Partner with us!
For more information on bringing Science of Reading Professional Development to your state or district, contact Senior Partnerships Manager Jessica Richards, M.Ed.